Once tasted–never forgotten! Melt in your mouth, sublimely decadent and relatively simple to produce. Quenelles success lies in the mixing (food processor) and shaping (dessert spoons). Quenelles can be made with shrimp, lobster or fish–as well as the classic chicken, veal or game dishes. The quenelles can be prepared the day before and heated in the sauce of your choice.
The suppleness of a pinot noir without a hard tannic structure, the rich subtle backbone of the pinot blanc and the elegant bold strengths of a chardonnay–pairing well with a butter, cream sauce; are my choices for this great dish.
1 1/2 lbs (450 gms) Sockeye Salmon–skinned, filleted and pin bones removed–chilled
1/2 t (2.5 ml) White Pepper
1 t (5 ml) Salt
2 C (500 ml) Whipping Cream–well chilled
- Place Salmon and seasoning in food processor–pulse mode until finely ground.
- Full mode, slowly add cream.
- Scrape sides and bottom with rubber spatula.
- Continue to blend until smooth–do not over-mix; as it will curdle.
- Rest mixture in fridge for a minimum of two hours.
- With two large dessert spoons, form quenelle shaped dumplings.
- Place in lightly buttered or silicone lined Pyrex dish.
- Ladle through strainer warm Court Bouillon (fish stock) gently onto quenelles–covering quenelles.
- Poach quenelles in the oven or on top of the stove; approximately 15 minutes. (Cooking just below the boiling point; as quenelles will disintegrate if water boils.)
- Quenelles are done, when they roll over easily. Transfer them with a slotted spoon to a rack or paper towel.
- Serve with a sauce of your choice; dill sauce, chive/vermouth sauce or saffron sauce.
Mt. Boucherie Estate Winery– 2007 Summit Reserve Pinot Noir –small lot, 20 months in French oak barrels, hints of cherry followed by leafy, earthy, savoury aromas. A long, soft, silky finish.
Lake Breeze Vineyards–2010 Pinot Blanc–clean, crisp, fruity; estate grown on the Naramata Bench.
La Frenz Winery–2009 Reserve Chardonnay– barrel fermented in new tight-grained French oak and sur lie barrel, aged up to 14 months.Rich, complex with characters of roasted cashews, toast, oatmeal and melon fruit. A rich cream layered palate.